Dr. Matt Hewitt, Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist (Subspecialist in Gynaecological Oncology and Colposcopy), Clinical Senior Lecturer University College Cork Matt Hewitt graduated from Nottingham University in 1993. After completing his internship and basic specialist training in the Trent region, Matt undertook an MD in the School of Human Development at the University of Nottingham, investigating the aetiology of recurrent pregnancy loss. Matt completed registrar training in the Trent region before deciding upon a career in gynaecological oncology. He moved to St James Hospital, Leeds, in 2001 to undertake a three year sub-specialist training programme in gynaecological oncology surgery. Matt was appointed as a Consultant Gynaecological Oncologist at St James in 2006, but shortly after moved together with his wife Louise to Cork University Maternity Hospital where he is also a clinical senior lecturer with the Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology. He practises in Low risk pregnancy, General Gynaecology, Gynaecological Oncology and Colposcopy. He is an accredited Robotic surgeon and proctors surgeons new to roboic surgery. Dr Hewitt is the President of the British and Irish Association of Robotic Gynaecological Surgeons (BIARGS) www.biargs.org.uk Cork hosted the second annual meeting of BIARGS which was attended by 42 surgeons from the UK Ireland and France
Below is a video where Dr Hewitt talks at the OvaCare open day on screening for ovarian cancer
- OE O’Sullivan, M Hewitt, BA O’Reilly. Economic evaluation of robot-assisted hysterectomy: a cost-minimisation analysis. BJOG 2015;122(1):144-145
- Thangavelu A, Hewitt MJ, Quinton ND, Duffy SR.Neoadjuvant treatment of endoemtrial cancer using anastrazole: A randomised pilot study.Gynecol Oncol. 2013 Dec;131(3):613-8.
- O. O’Sullivan, M. O’Carroll, M. Hewitt, B. O’Reilly Gynaecological robotic surgery in an Irish setting – cost analysis.Gynaecological surgery May 2013, Volume 10,129-135
- Michelle O’Neil, Patrick S. Moran, Conor Teljeur, Orfhlaith E O’Sullivan, Barry O’Reilly, Matt Hewitt, Martin Flattery, Mairin Ryan.Robot-assisted hysterectomy compared to open and laparoscopic approaches: systemic review and meat-analysis Archives of Gynecology and Obstetrics 2013 In press.
- Cronin C, Hewitt M, Harely I, O’Donoghue K, O’Reilly B, Robot-assisted laparoscopic cervical cerclage as an interval procedure. Gynecological Surgery 2012;9:317-321
- Health Information and Quality Authority (HIQA) Health technology assessment of robot-assisted surgery in selected Surgical patients. Hewitt M member of the expert advisory group.2011
- Alazzam M, Gillespie A, Hewitt M. Robotic surgery in the management of cervical carcinoma. Arch.Gynecol.Obstet. 2011Oct;284(4):937-43
- Hewitt MJ, O’Carroll M, O’Reilly B. Robotic surgery in Gynaecology. The Obstetrician and Gynaecologist. 2011;13:183-188
- Hewitt MJ, Anderson K, Hall GD, Weston M, Hutson R, Wilkinson N, Perren TJ, Lane G, Spencer JA. Women with peritoneal carcinomatosis of unknown origin: Efficacy of image-guided biopsy to determine site-specific diagnosis. BJOG. 2007 Jan;114(1):46-50.
- Hewitt MJ, Wood N, Quinton ND, Charlton R, Taylor G, Sheridan E, Duffy SR. The detection of microsatellite instability in blind endometrial samples–a potential novel screening tool for endometrial cancer in women from hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer families? Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006 May-Jun;16(3):1393-400.
- Hewitt MJ, Hall GD, Wilkinson N, Perren TJ, Lane G, Spencer JA. Image-guided biopsy in women with breast cancer presenting with peritoneal carcinomatosis. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2006 Jan-Feb;16 Suppl 1:108-10.
- Hewitt MJ, Mutch P, Pratten MK. Potential teratogenic effects of benomyl in rat embryos cultured in vitro. Reprod Toxicol. 2005 Jul-Aug;20(2):271-80. Epub 2005 Apr 18.